It’s that time of year again!! Nothing says Christmas like Olympia!! I can’t wait, I’m so excited!!!
For those who don’t know – Olympia, The London International Horse Show, is possibly the biggest equestrian event in the Britsh calender!! It takes place every year in the week before Christmas, and for many people has become a Christmas tradition!
It’s like a huge equine festival for horse lovers from all across the country (and world)!!
Olympia has a really friendly atmosphere, and knowing that everyone has something in common, means that people are more likely to just start chatting to random strangers on the train who they would normally ignore! It’s easy to talk about horses!!! You can always tell who is going to/leaving Olympia from the country boots, wide grins, and little girls clutching giant cuddly ponies they’ve bought!!
Some of the shows at Olympia this year are:
- the dressage Grand Prix
- The Kennel Club dog jumping
- Jean-François Pignon (I’ve not seen him before, but he does apparently very impressive stunt riding. Last year they had the Ukranian Cossacks.)
- extreme (horse) driving
- show jumping
- the Shetland Pony Grand National (This is adorable!!!)
- The Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment musical ride (Last year the Metropolitan Mounted Police were there, jumping through rings of fire while taking off their saddles and skillfully avoiding collisions with other horses, who were going over the same jump, at the same time, from the opposite direction!!! The Household Cavalry have a lot to live up to!!)
- the puissance (Have you seen the heights of those jumps?!!)
- The Pony Club mini-major (These riders are incredible! The professionals and Pony Clubbers are paired up and the best combined time wins! First a professinal show jumper goes round on their horse and does some huge jumps. Then an 11/12-year-old finishes a course of jumps that are much smaller but still massive compared to the size of their ponies. The little ponies are amazingly wizzy and do impossibly tight turns into the jumps!!!)
- the Riding Club quadrille
- the six bar jumping
- the native pony showing championship
- and of course we can’t forget the Christmas Finale!
- even Father Christmas goes along with his sleigh!!
While waiting for the show to start, you can wander around the equine orientated shopping village, which is a great place to get any last minute Christmas presents. Even if you don’t buy anything, it’s a great way to soak up the excited, Christmassy, horsey atmosphere!
Olympia is possibly the most festive horse show ever, definitely at Christmas time. I can’t wait!! Will you be going to Olympia or somewhere similar this Christms?
Horse Daydreamer xxx